Friday, November 2, 2012

Voting in Chicago







For years it has been a simple procedure to register to vote. I have been a registered voter since I was 18 years old. I'm pretty old so about half of my life we will say. In mid-July I moved from a rural area in Illinois to the city of Chicago. About a month after I went on the Chicago Board of Election website and printed out a change of address form and mailed it in. I am a busy person with three active children so it slipped my mind to check on it. When a member of my household received their voters registration card, I decided to look into it. When I looked myself up I was still voting in my old district this is a bad thing, yes the Presidential election it may not matter, but it will matter when it comes to where I live and the things that go on in my neighborhood. Frankly when I did vote in the small town you were lucky to find a democratic candidate on the ballot at all.  I called the board of election to find out what was going on, a woman let me know that I was able to go to my local park district and vote.
Three days ago that is exactly what I did, I waited in a long line to get to the front, a lady even had me fill out my signature card saying what I was giving her was fine. When I get to the counter the ill-tempered woman tells me she does not know what the hell is going on and sends me to a supervisor who makes a phone call and proceeds tells me to go to the downtown location to vote. I’m a woman so I’m pretty pissed off at this point. Seriously, I live here see look at the mail look at my ID. NO! HAHA you can’t vote here go downtown! This is a hassle, but in my opinion worth it, I cannot complain if I do not vote and I sure do love to complain. 

About three days later I was dropped off at the elevated train, went to Washington/Wells stop walked about a quarter mile to the Chicago Board of Election on the 6th floor. I waited in a pretty long line, I would say at least 50 ahead of me and I was there fairly early in the morning. Some lady took my information and sent me to a separate line. I waited in that line around ten minutes or so and was finally able to vote I voted for Obama/Biden of course. There were many other things on the ballot that I felt strongly about as well. City workers pensions, they would like to lower them and it would affect family so that I voted against.  I found something on the ballot I had no idea was on there as well and I was intensely excited about, regarding federally regulating spending on elections. It would bring back the Citizens United Supreme Court ruling which was atrocious! Putting a cap on election spending would turn our country toward a better place to be. That should be everyone’s goal to get back on top in every aspect of your life including your country. So voting was finished I took the train back home and all was well. 

Some people getting on an el train

One line I stood in...
That is not my hand

El train on the way home



In other news I had a political costume for Halloween that I wanted to share. Her name is Mrs. Sarah Palin and she was shot by my buddy Dick Cheney…who is backing President Obama, spooky…..


Sarah Palin shot in the head by Dick Cheney,,,notice the rebel flag...

No comments:

Post a Comment